Sunday, June 20, 2010

He's haunting me (Ending)

This is the story I've been writing just for the WOW writer's forum. You can find part one here and part two here

She wasn't moving fast enough for him. Grabbing her by the elbow, Byron pulled her out of the produce area and into the deli. The little basket was already filled with mushrooms, pears, garlic, tomatoes and fresh basil. He was thinking something rich. The lady working the deli counter slipped on a pair of plastic gloves as Byron pointed out the large block of cheese. He nodded to Adar telling her to grab a large bottle of olive oil off the nearest shelf while he chose a thick freshly made pumpernickel bread.
He caught a small glimpse of her shoulder as she bent over his arm to place the bottle of olive oil into the basket he was carrying. It sent a shiver through him, the neckline of her tee shirt stretching just enough to tease. Byron suddenly could think of nothing but getting her home.

They took a cab the five blocks to his apartment. This was almost too easy, getting her to come home with him. At the same time, it was driving Byron insane the idea he'd have to wait to make his move.
Placing the grocery bag on the kitchen counter, he offered to take her trenchcoat for her. Adar removed it folding it carefully as to not let the soft leather be scratched, before handing it to him.

She pulled back with a small start as their hands touched. Byron was ice cold. He tossed the coat down on the floor as he grabbed her elbow again. He had meant to make it painless as possible, but it was just too much for him. The material of the tee-shirt tore with little effort as he brought his lips to her flesh, his fingers slipping the bra strap off the one shoulder, leaving large red ribbons of blood as he did. He held her to himself as he bit hard across her throat, the soft veins giving as easy as digging into a turkey leg. She hadn't struggled at all just went limp in his arms. Byron had to brace himself on the edge of the kitchen counter as they both tumbled to the hard tiled floor.

"You have got to stop doing this to yourself." a sleepy voice said a few moments later breaking him out of his blood haze. Byron nodded more to himself then to his brother. "Waiting so long, tempting yourself this way. That the reporter?" he couldn't look at his brother, just nodded again. "I thought you said you could use the publicity for the restaurant?" Byron said nothing, did nothing but sat there staring blankly holding Adar in his lap. "Thought you were going to wait huh? Let me look at her" he felt his brother lean in over his shoulder. "Ah. You really did it to yourself this time didn't you Byron? No wonder, she does look just like our dear little Mary doesn't she? Well, hurry up and make her, fledgling, you might just be able to keep this one yet."

Byron pulled himself up by the edge of the counter as he moved towards the pantry getting a small jar. Opening it, he poured the thick molasses like mixture into Adar's now lifeless mouth. He had learned that if he mixed the blood with herbs, it kept longer. This batch was at lest ten years old and he had no way of getting more. Percy had been dead now for the last two years. Percy had always been the stronger of them, having no issues at all on finding them fresh blood supplies. Until Percy's death, Byron had never needed to hunt, and was able to live as normal a life as possible. But the night his brother became too careless and sailed into a storm while trapping lobsters for the restaurant, Byron found himself alone and having to change his lifestyle.

He felt Adar starting to gag. The blood mixture being spat back up on the floor around them. He'd been successful at bringing her over. He held her to him, kissing her forehead. She pushed him away crawling backwards across the kitchen floor, a trail of blood everywhere.
"You were right. I was able to keep this one." he spoke looking over his shoulder as he did. It only took a few minutes for Adar's body to repair itself and her mind to clear.

"Who are you talking to?" she breathed.

"My brother." Byron said pointing towards the empty corner of the kitchen. "My brother."

"You tried to kill me!" she had her hands on a chair leg trying to steady herself. "You tried to kill me!" it took all her strength but she threw the chair across the small kitchen to land just beside him. " I'm just going to leave okay. I promise I won't tell anyone. I'll just go. Where's my purse?" she made it to her knees but was too weak.

"I didn't try to kill you, I did kill you." He let out a deep sigh as he turned towards her scratching at his temple. "Oh he's gone now. You upset him and he's gone again. "

"Byron, there's no one there. There is no one here but you and me." she screamed, her voice cracking as she did, her hands unable to stay still as she tried to understand what was going on. "Where's my purse?"

"I didn't mean to kill you. You were just so tempting, and once I got started; I felt this rush and I just couldn't stop. You just felt so good in my...in my arms" His voice trailed off.

He stripped off his now blood covered shirt his hands out towards her. "You're a mess. Come on babe, I'll run us a shower then you can finish interviewing me while I make us supper." He was back to normal, acting as if nothing had happened, as if the last twenty minutes had never occurred. "You're going to ask me how I manage to stay so thin being a chef right? It's what everyone wonders. I work out, a lot. But it's not just that, it's diet too. I EAT a lot of liquids after 5 pm, try not to have too many fatty foods during the day. But the rest is all DNA." he pulled her to her feet. "Other people's DNA."

"You can't eat liquids, you...drink... drink them." she was looking around the small kitchen trying to figure out how to stop him. "You want me to believe you're a vampire? You're nuts!" Adar tried to move from him but his grip was too strong as he held her at the shoulders, tugging her towards the bathroom.

"No, I want you to believe WE'RE vampires." he stood straight for a moment "Well. I'm a vampire you're just a fledgling. Come come now, don't be that way." he let out another sigh as he decided to just pick her up and sling her over his shoulder as if she were a large slab of beef. "Christ you're heavier then you look. If I didn't know better I'd say you were as heavy as a werewolf." he placed her on her feet in the doorway of the bathroom, raising an eyebrow at her. "You're not a werewolf are you?"

The End.... maybe